Major Voting Improvements!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Feb 19, 2014.

1. To answer your question on timezones, previously what seemed like a 'different day' to the user, actually ended up being the same day to the server.

This caused a lot of confusion "Look at my rupee logs, It's different days", when in reality, add + 5 hours and its the same day.

As for why their is a window - there are multiple sites. Every single vote on each site can not raise your streak, only 1 streak increase per day.

So essentially, were allowing you to get streak increases faster than 1 day: 23 hours.

I guess I will lower it to 20 to be a little more flexible, but rule of security: Don't trust external providers for enforcing your goals.

If one of them had an issue, someone could spam vote and obtain massive bonuses.

This is really starting to become political though, the whole point of a "streak" is by DAYS, so if we allowed you to raise your streak at 12 hours or 30 hours, it's no longer a representation of how many days in a row you voted.
    Lukas3226 likes this.
  2. I think lowering it to 20 hours, and 30 hours will allow a decent amount of time for people tp raise it, yea it can be abused but its a pain so,etimes maintining the streak or raising it.
  3. Also, this hard window is only if you are voting on 1 site or 1 specific point of the day.

If you stagger votes as recommended, you will have no trouble keeping streak.

The formula doesn't check for "was your last vote strictly in the 23-25 hour window".

It checks: Have you voted within the past 26 hours? Yes, ok you do not lose streak!
    Now: Was your LAST BONUS more than 23 hours ago? Yes, Increase streak!

So if you vote at 12 PM Monday, then 6 PM Monday, you will get bonus at 12 PM.

Now, if you vote at 5PM Tuesday, it's been 23 hours since last vote, so you qualify to not lose steak, but 29 hours since last bonus, so you qualify for a streak increase.

This is really about as fair as I can see it to keep Streaks equal to 1 per day.
    Lukas3226 likes this.
  4. But you get a bonus every time you vote, so the time since last vote and the time since last bonus should be the same.
  5. You do not get a bonus every time you vote. If this would happe, you can increase your bonus per day up to 9 because you could vote on 9 sites.

I think as Aikar made it it is very clever.
    You can vote per day on each site once. If you vote e.g. at 12PM on one site, you get your streak++ ( streak+1 )
    Now you can vote later on e.g. 4PM and receive the normal 100r ( except TopG 300r ). Tomorrow you can vote at 12PM and would reveice the next streak. if you miss the 25 h, it woun't not increase the streak, as you have voted yesterday at 4PM, so you have more time to vote. ( I really hope you can understand my explanation :D )
  6. "the normal 100r" is still a bonus:p
  7. Oh yeah, by that I mean, the streak does not increase :)
  8. On TopG.org Minecraft, We are #7 on day 6 of 7, and have been in top 10 every day in March, so if we keep voting, in-game promo is possible !
    This is the closest I have seen us to reaching the top 10 for 7 days goal.
    #8 is catching up to us, so now is a good time to vote on TopG.org
    It is the first vote link here...
    http://empireminecraft.com/wiki/vote/
  9. so you get the massive amounts of rupees for every vote you make (once the multiplier is high)?
  10. I believe so.
    Could you list the amounts we get for each day, and the rewards?
  11. With this voting, what if there was a scale type thermometer that rose up 1 mark every time your bonus increases. It would have milestone "goals" at each of the designated place.
    vividOptimism likes this.
  12. I believe today is day 7 of 7, so we are getting closer to our goal, so now is a good time to vote :).
  13. Haha yup, this doesnt mean stop voting after we get the promo! There are landmarks like 2 weeks, a month etc!
    cadgamer101 and 607 like this.
  14. No. You get 100r per vote. 300r for the first vote per day. At special days like 60 in a row you'll get more, in each case 60 was a mark before the changes. But how did you not know that?
  15. I'm at a bonus amount of 370 for my initial vote :)
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  16. I agree, it is just nice that we may meet one of the big voting goals together :).
    QuarterStop likes this.
  17. There will probably be a [l]surprise[i/]promo for a month.
  18. ???
  19. Hey hey hey... When are we getting the promo? xP
    No rush.
    Corey4028 likes this.
  20. Promo for the win???!!