Anti-Griefing Update! 8/15/16

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not seeing a "Build mode enabled" warning is effectively a build mode is off warning.
    ShelLuser and Gawadrolt like this.
  2. But it's pretty hard to notice the build mode on warning to. you see something if it's tiny text.
  3. It would get really annoying if you had constant reminders that it was off. I don't do much building in the wild when I go out, usually mining or an event if I do, so I don't want warnings telling me it's off all the time.

If you want to build, that is when you put build mode on. You shouldn't have it on all of the time is what I think you need to understand here. You should remember to turn it on when you're building something that needs protecting, and then turn it off/leave it when you're doing other stuff.
    607 and Gawadrolt like this.
  4. Is there a list of the uncommon blocks that are automatically protected ?
  5. Yes, that list is in the second post by Aikar, right?
  6. In the drop down spoiler in the second post is where you will find all uncommon blocks that are protected, as copied from the code.
  7. Thank you Krysyy for your help :)
  8. No problem. What else am I gonna do at 2:20 am local time on Sunday morning? ;)
  9. Was I not clear enough? :p (Okay, perhaps I should've mentioned the spoiler... :rolleyes: but I thought it could be good to read some more of the post, too.)
  10. Can we get or find a list of uncommon blocks please?
  11. ShelLuser, 607 and Will_McNab like this.
  12. I know your questions have been answered, but I'd still like to point your attention to the Anti Grief wiki page, which also contains this list: https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/anti-grief/

The reason for that should be obvious: if things change on the list (like with Aikars comments about sandstone) then you can rest assured that us contribs will make sure that the wiki stays up to date as well.

(edit): Right now non-standard sandstone blocks (I assume smooth sandstone, chiseled sandstone, etc.) are part of the uncommon blocks too but are not part of said list. The reason I haven't updated the wiki page yet myself is because I'm not adding things before testing them.
    607 likes this.
  13. I can easy say i hate it still that build mode not is active default in frontier. I place to many block still without protection because it takes a bit to remember. And am not the only one.

Just a reminder at login that build mode is off , possible would help.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  14. I can see where you're coming from but... I do think it's fair to say that we never had buildmode to begin with when we started. Basically nothing really changed on that end, maybe apart from the fact that some blocks are now protected by default.

My point being: this update is still pretty new, only 1 week old (at the time of writing). Isn't it possible that things might get a bit better over time, once you get a bit more used to it? Before building turn on /buildmode... (I know I make it sound easier than it is).

Reason I ask is because I hated the sound in 1.9. I was certain that the first thing I was going to do when EMC went 1.9 was to run out and find a resource pack which would give me the old sounds back. But after one week of playing 1.9 on EMC (note: vanilla client) I didn't care that much anymore :p

Some things may take some time to get used to...
    607 likes this.
  15. It's technical not the problem to turn it on.
    The problem is that there's no reminder it's off. So you forget to turn it on.

Most of the cases blocks later you remember it's still off. :mad: and then turn it on.
    "Remember to turn it on" that's the problem.
  16. It's going to be of for the majority of the time for players... Going to build a structure in the frontier is a pretty "targeted" behavior, which is pretty fair to expect a player to hold the responsibility to make judgement on needing to turn it on.

We are not going to spam players constantly "Did you mean to have build mode on"? We can not determine if they are building a structure or just mining or traveling.

We absolutely do not want players using build mode when traveling and mining. It should be off most of the time (unless the only thing you're doing is building in the Frontier... )

So the reminder would be more of an annoyance than helpful.
  17. Throwing my two bits in after using and getting used to the new anti-grief update...I LOVE IT!!
    I build alot out in the wild. My outpost is better than my res with more utilities, features, and designs. I was always worried about it being griefed, but honestly I've had very little problems with griefing so far...lucky I guess.
    Now that the update is out, I can build freely out there without worrying about whether I'll have to maintain it. I can let the imagination go.
    I had a few blocks that were 'owned' by other players who'd had to break out of some of my builds. They were nice enough to replace the blocks. Had one of the staff stop by and remove the tags on those blocks so I could break em and replace them as mine.
    I do find myself forgetting the /buildmode alot of the time, but I build with mostly non-common blocks, so I'm not too worried about that.
    I spent the weekend revamping my portal entrance to look lots better, and make it less confusing to get around in. Now that that's done, it's time to add some more utilities and features. With the update, I'm now thinking more along the lines of public utilities, that anyone can use, being as I don't have to worry about them getting destroyed. I'm trying to make the layout and access to them flow more naturally so it's easy to get to and use them.

I've got a little more work to do before I announce it's open, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Aikar and crew. Amazing update and a great server!!!
  18. I better take a look on the block list. it's 99% of the time i still forget to enable buildmode from the start.
  19. I'm interested in hearing more people's opinions on this. :)
    God_Of_Gods likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.